16 January 2010

The Sky Is a Hazy Shade of Winter

I'm not a huge fan of winter. I like to cross country ski and snowboard, and I love driving in the snow. But back in 2006 I made the choice to forgo true winter on the east side and at pass level for the rain and mud of the tidal flats. At the treehouse and in Leavenworth, the bright light of snow, with the added benefit of activities to keep me occupied, generally kept me sane, though winter was never easy. The thought of spending that first winter at sea level--with nothing but rain, muddy grass and evergreens that just seem black and oppressing to keep me company--worried me a bit.

But two things happened. One, I had lots to drink and lots of friends to drink with, as I worked in downtown Anacortes. Two, it Snowed. Maybe 4 inches, but that, I was assured, was a lot. Plus, the weather immediately went to clear and sunny and freezing, so the snow stayed on for almost two weeks. It was awesome.

Matter of fact, it has snowed every year I've been down here. Last winter (08-09) I moved to Blaine, and we got 2 or 3 feet of snowfall, that stuck around as 10-14 inches for quite some time. I cross country skied right out of the back door. That also was awesome. I went back to work at the North Cascades Institute in February, which meant that as spring came on down here, I drove up and out of it, back into winter up there. Fun for awhile, until I was outside grilling steaks in the snow, or had to chain up my car (a first in the entirety of me living in snow and working at ski areas--about 13 years) in April. Then, I was pissed.

Enter this winter. 2009 has been a rough year in general, starting with that time-traveling spring. I've been unemployed since the end of August, and stressed about money and paying the bills since the end of October. I was so proud of myself for not freaking out before that. Then work still didn't come, and still hasn't, though I help with PetroClean books and such. Funny how the bills keep coming. Ah, well. Money stresses me out like few other things can, particularly when it starts raining and keeps raining and then it rains some more, and I can't even push the damn wheel barrow through the yard when I'm hauling firewood because the bastard gets stuck in the mud, and I don't feel like doing anything, except for having another screwdriver, not that I could afford to, anyway, so maybe I'll bitch at Devon some more, or incite him to bitch at me. Good times. It did snow this year, but it just didn't try hard enough, or last. Apparently sea level pulled the gloves off this go-round, figuring I could handle it on my own now.

Anyway, there are things that make me happy, too. Elli the Dog flompfing around, and earning a new nickname: Mary Floppins. Playing dominoes on Sunday evenings with the neighbors. Watching the Canucks, preferably, when they win. Tulips, hyacinths and narcissus in little brightly-wrapped pots at the grocery store. When the sun comes out, like it did today, illuminating everything inside the house and out, and inside my psyche and outside on my skin, creating some vitamin D. When I come inside to check on the fire, and notice the sunlight streaming onto my pretty narcissus and onto Hugalug, Devon's Cabbage Patch Kids Pet from when he was little. I might make it to March. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. You should drink screwdrivers while playing dominoes with Hugalug. That should get you through...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd better make it to March because then its ON! (@Guemes Island Extravaganza -that is)
    Also, I can't remember a more apt word for, well, ANYTHING than "flompfing" for Elsinore!

    ReplyDelete